Thursday, May 13, 2010

I will find the North Star (The Pole star named Polaris)


I am starting to enjoy looking at the stars more and want to learn the names of the different constellations and see if I can locate any planets.
I would like a little telescope but for now, due to finances I shall enjoy looking at them with the naked eye :-)

I do believe that the phases of the moon affect our moods and this is something I also wish to explore. I have been more convinced of this with Aunty Mary's dementia. She certainly seems to be more confused and agitated when the moon is full, to be honest she is normally worse a few day's after.

I shall report back later to see if the diagram above and the instructions below work! I hope it will be a clear night and I remember to do it! haha

Locating the North Star is easy if you follow this simple diagram.
First, find the Big Dipper.  Draw an straight line between the two stars of the Big Dipper as shown, toward the Little Dipper.
The North Star is located at the end of the handle of the Little Dipper.
The North Star always points in the direction of True North.  For this reason it has been used as and aid to navigation for many centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment